MG Racing Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Formats

+3
dm
Jay
Admin
7 posters

Go down

Formats Empty Formats

Post  Admin 15/8/2010, 7:25 am

Why dont MG Racing hold a longer race format say 45 min or 1 hour at like Winton or even one of the Sandowns to mix it up. Instead of 3-4 20-25min races hold 2x 30min or 1 45-60min race and make it double points? similar to the Sportscar 1 hour at Phillip Island where there is a compulsory pit stop to allow anyone who needs to change tyres/fuel/driver change?

Just a thought, any comments or other suggestions?

Admin
Admin

https://mgracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Formats Empty Re: Formats

Post  Jay 15/8/2010, 1:18 pm

Sounds good to me, i'd be up for longer races.
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  dm 30/8/2010, 3:12 pm

Admin wrote:Why dont MG Racing hold a longer race format say 45 min or 1 hour at like Winton or even one of the Sandowns to mix it up. Instead of 3-4 20-25min races hold 2x 30min or 1 45-60min race and make it double points? similar to the Sportscar 1 hour at Phillip Island where there is a compulsory pit stop to allow anyone who needs to change tyres/fuel/driver change?

Just a thought, any comments or other suggestions?

An excellent idea. Please put forward a written proposal to the Committee and I am sure they will consider it and seek the opinions of the wider MG Racing community. If it is agreed by all then the committee will approach one of the promotors to see if it is possible. There are of course many downsides to such a proposal but I am sure they will come out in the wash as people discuss it.

dm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 30/8/2010, 11:18 pm

The main concern is it puts more stresses on the cars.
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin 31/8/2010, 10:45 am

I guess the other side is if it could happen, for say 35 drivers to share and some by themselves we would be lucky to have 20 cars on the grid.

Admin
Admin

https://mgracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Christo 17/9/2010, 3:23 am

Longer races with driver changes sounds good to me!
Christo
Christo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 17/9/2010, 8:27 am

Christo wrote:Longer races with driver changes sounds good to me!

When are you going to do the shorter races, Christo ????
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  greenmgf76 18/9/2010, 1:46 am

Jay wrote:The main concern is it puts more stresses on the cars.

True dat, which may result in some people choosing to run just the one round or vice versa. Fuel tank sizes could be an isue with some cars as well. Good idea though as it could be our mini-enduro season! Would also definitely mix up the field as some car/driver combinations would be more consistent over longer runs.

greenmgf76
greenmgf76

Back to top Go down

Post  Pauly 20/9/2010, 10:57 am

greenmgf76 wrote:
Jay wrote:The main concern is it puts more stresses on the cars.

True dat, which may result in some people choosing to run just the one round or vice versa. Fuel tank sizes could be an isue with some cars as well. Good idea though as it could be our mini-enduro season! Would also definitely mix up the field as some car/driver combinations would be more consistent over longer runs.

The Flamecrusher 250/500?
Pauly
Pauly

Back to top Go down

Post  Christo 20/9/2010, 12:30 pm

Jay wrote:
Christo wrote:Longer races with driver changes sounds good to me!

When are you going to do the shorter races, Christo ????

Fingers crossed for next year.
Christo
Christo

Back to top Go down

Formats Empty Longer Races

Post  MG50 21/9/2010, 12:44 am

So if we are going to have longer races, at which event will it be ... if it is a state race event, then it will be the ONLY race for the meeting, and maybe it won't be an hour, as we typlically get a total of 15 mins practise, and 3 races of 6, 8 and maybe 10 laps (less at PI).

In terms of program time, there is enough for ~24 laps. At Sandown, this is going to be ~35-36 minutes, so this is the best we could hope for - 15 mins practise/qualifying on Saturday and a 35 minute race on Sunday.

If it were to be a AASA event at Winton, then maybe we may fare a little better, but it will still be the same, practise/qualifying on Sat and a single race on Sunday.

The alterantive is to enter the Magic Isalnd event where there is a 1-hour event (the CUE Sportscar series, BUT you are going to be competing against GT3RSR Porsches and the speed differential will be substantial and your may not actually qualify given the 130% rule). However, this will be additonal to our series as this is an event that the register has not traditionally supported as a part of the seriies - but there is no reason not to question that.

Its a good idea, but was considered at least twice in the ast 15 years to my knowledge and was not found to be practical then, and given the comments above, may still not be practical, UNLESS an event can be found to host a longer race.

In case my nickname is not clear, it is Robin Bailey making these comments.

MG50

Back to top Go down

Post  Pauly 21/9/2010, 9:56 am

MG50 wrote:So if we are going to have longer races, at which event will it be ... if it is a state race event, then it will be the ONLY race for the meeting, and maybe it won't be an hour, as we typlically get a total of 15 mins practise, and 3 races of 6, 8 and maybe 10 laps (less at PI).

In terms of program time, there is enough for ~24 laps. At Sandown, this is going to be ~35-36 minutes, so this is the best we could hope for - 15 mins practise/qualifying on Saturday and a 35 minute race on Sunday.

If it were to be a AASA event at Winton, then maybe we may fare a little better, but it will still be the same, practise/qualifying on Sat and a single race on Sunday.

The alterantive is to enter the Magic Isalnd event where there is a 1-hour event (the CUE Sportscar series, BUT you are going to be competing against GT3RSR Porsches and the speed differential will be substantial and your may not actually qualify given the 130% rule). However, this will be additonal to our series as this is an event that the register has not traditionally supported as a part of the seriies - but there is no reason not to question that.

Its a good idea, but was considered at least twice in the ast 15 years to my knowledge and was not found to be practical then, and given the comments above, may still not be practical, UNLESS an event can be found to host a longer race.

In case my nickname is not clear, it is Robin Bailey making these comments.

I would think Winton would be the best place...And would you like to see a longer race at all Robin?

Pauly
Pauly

Back to top Go down

Post  MG50 21/9/2010, 10:01 am

The older I get the shorter my attention span ..... I ran in the 100km Vic Tirist Trophy at PI many years ago and enjoyed it, but anything further requires a new fuel tank and with an extra 50kg in the back of the car, a new setup.

I have tought about running in the 1-hour at PI in Nov purely because I have had so little racing this year .... and so it is an option, but to get the event, you'll need a grid of 20+, even for Winton ... does this level of interest exist !!!

RB

MG50

Back to top Go down

Post  greenmgf76 21/9/2010, 5:03 pm

What about 2 "split" races of 35 mins each? Perhaps we could base the length of the race on the total fuel capacity of the smallest tanked vehicle.
greenmgf76
greenmgf76

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum