MG Racing Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Gear

5 posters

Go down

Top Gear Empty Top Gear

Post  Jay 31/8/2010, 2:11 pm

Just watched Top Gear with 3 British Sports cars. TVR,Jensen and Lotus. Very sad seeing the closed TVR factory at Blackpool. Reminded me of Longbridge closing down, very sad for the British car industry.

Who ever said the TVR isn't British enough anyway ?
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Top Gear Empty Re: Top Gear

Post  Admin 1/9/2010, 2:31 am

Jay wrote:Just watched Top Gear with 3 British Sports cars. TVR,Jensen and Lotus. Very sad seeing the closed TVR factory at Blackpool. Reminded me of Longbridge closing down, very sad for the British car industry.

They were interesting choices given not obvious Jags, MG's etc. Interesting to hear some of the stats they said and the older cars faired up pretty well! TVR factory was a bit eerie.

Admin
Admin

https://mgracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  greenmgf76 1/9/2010, 2:17 pm

Clarkson's expression was like a rabbit in the headlights.
greenmgf76
greenmgf76

Back to top Go down

Post  dm 1/9/2010, 3:09 pm

Jay wrote:Just watched Top Gear with 3 British Sports cars. TVR,Jensen and Lotus. Very sad seeing the closed TVR factory at Blackpool. Reminded me of Longbridge closing down, very sad for the British car industry.

All three marques are clearly British Sports cars. Having owned and driven an TVR Chimeara I have to say that death did not come too soon. It was a low km unit and would have to have been one of the worst sports cars that I have ever owned. An MG is a much better balanced package than the TVR. OK it does not go as hard bu it is far better balanced in terms of its overall performance. An MG is probably a better overall car than even my Elise which is full of compromises, albeit to move it towards the quicker end of the spectrum (OK it is 40 years younger in design so it should be better), but even my Lotus Elan was not as balanced a performance car package as the MGB. We have to all remember that MG was the sports car for the masses who could not afford the more exotic E-Types, Astons and Lotus cars of the era ...........an MGF was and is a "poor mans" sports car cf an Elise. But having owned and raced both I would have to say that the MGF was by far the better race car if you look at all aspects of Racing as a hobby activity. My MGF provided me with the most fun and enjoyable racing of any of the many race cars that I have raced over the last 35 years. MGFs are great sports cars and make great race cars for very little money. That is why ultimately they are the future of MG Racing in my opinion (along with the various MG sedans and hot hatches like Jason's yella terror whichis great jigger)

dm

Back to top Go down

Post  Pauly 2/9/2010, 2:22 am

dm wrote:

All three marques are clearly British Sports cars. Having owned and driven an TVR Chimeara I have to say that death did not come too soon. It was a low km unit and would have to have been one of the worst sports cars that I have ever owned. An MG is a much better balanced package than the TVR. OK it does not go as hard bu it is far better balanced in terms of its overall performance. An MG is probably a better overall car than even my Elise which is full of compromises, albeit to move it towards the quicker end of the spectrum (OK it is 40 years younger in design so it should be better), but even my Lotus Elan was not as balanced a performance car package as the MGB. We have to all remember that MG was the sports car for the masses who could not afford the more exotic E-Types, Astons and Lotus cars of the era ...........an MGF was and is a "poor mans" sports car cf an Elise. But having owned and raced both I would have to say that the MGF was by far the better race car if you look at all aspects of Racing as a hobby activity. My MGF provided me with the most fun and enjoyable racing of any of the many race cars that I have raced over the last 35 years. MGFs are great sports cars and make great race cars for very little money. That is why ultimately they are the future of MG Racing in my opinion (along with the various MG sedans and hot hatches like Jason's yella terror whichis great jigger)

Not to mention how cheap F's are these days!
Pauly
Pauly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum