MG Racing Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round 5 PI

4 posters

Go down

Round 5 PI Empty Round 5 PI

Post  Jay 17/9/2014, 6:49 am

Very low numbers, why is this ? Not many B's.

Are people not happy, broke, need a change/Rest. Thoughts please.
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Round 5 PI Empty Re: Round 5 PI

Post  Christo 17/9/2014, 11:02 am

For some reason this meeting over the last few years has been low on numbers for us. I'm not sure why, it isn't just after or before any other event maybe it has been forgotten about but the state rounds are our most important rounds and we need to keep them so the lack of entries should not be ignored......
Christo
Christo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pauly 22/9/2014, 5:09 am

Interesting topic, Seeing as you both asked, what are your thoughts as you have not entered Jase? And Chris what are your thoughts; are there negatives about this particular state round? As you point out we have had this problem with this event in the past.

I think a couple of facts should be noted;

-We have already had attrition from some competitors having to withdraw early (3 or 4 cars now)
-We have come off the back of a successful event at Winton and leading up to possibly our biggest event at Sandown just 4 weeks later
-Entry close off for Sandown is before Phillip Island and this has the following affects

• Those with a historic log book will always prefer Sandown due to cross entry options
  • Those who are deciding where to split their funds are always going to prefer a bigger event like Sandown
  • There are some who may not feel their car can do back to back events in 4 weeks or are worried about having a mechanical issue and not being able to fix it in time
  • Group N have the same issue as us and have a competitor base 4x times as big

So an interesting topic and what are your thoughts or even possible solutions?
Pauly
Pauly

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 22/9/2014, 9:37 am

Pauly wrote:Interesting topic, Seeing as you both asked, what are your thoughts as you have not entered Jase? And Chris what are your thoughts; are there negatives about this particular state round? As you point out we have had this problem with this event in the past.

-We have already had attrition from some competitors having to withdraw early (3 or 4 cars now)
-We have come off the back of a successful event at Winton and leading up to possibly our biggest event at Sandown just 4 weeks later
-Entry close off for Sandown is before Phillip Island and this has the following affects

• Those with a historic log book will always prefer Sandown due to cross entry options
  • Those who are deciding where to split their funds are always going to prefer a bigger event like Sandown
  • There are some who may not feel their car can do back to back events in 4 weeks or are worried about having a mechanical issue and not being able to fix it in time

I wasn't going to race any this year but I did 2 rounds to blow the dust off the car, with this round I am hiring 2 of my cars out and looking after 2 cars which is over a quarter of the grid so I think my input is very strong for this round.
I know a few of the B drivers are not happy with the series but its still low number.
Maybe it would have been worth pushing like you did for Winton ?
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Pauly 22/9/2014, 9:54 am

Jay wrote:
Pauly wrote:Interesting topic, Seeing as you both asked, what are your thoughts as you have not entered Jase? And Chris what are your thoughts; are there negatives about this particular state round? As you point out we have had this problem with this event in the past.

I wasn't going to race any this year but I did 2 rounds to blow the dust off the car, with this round I am hiring 2 of my cars out  and looking after 2 cars which is over a quarter of the grid so I think my input is very strong for this round.
I know a few of the B drivers are not happy with the series but its still low number.

You haven't answered the question of why you think there are low numbers?
What B drivers are unhappy?
Pauly
Pauly

Back to top Go down

Post  Christo 22/9/2014, 10:15 am

I don't think there is anything wrong with this state round personally I think it's nearly the best of the year with the weather as good as it is who would want to drive the Island in these conditions.
The close dates between last state round and Sandown Historics is something we will never be able to avoid but I still think we should be able to get a field of 22 or more with only a few of the Classic class guys if most of the are saving their cars for the Historics.
Yes we did have a good grid for Winton but was from a big push for numbers I haven't seen half of that push to boost the numbers for this round maybe a good one for the next committee to plan for when the AGM is done.

Solutions as you know take time to come up with but if we keep turning upto the last round of the series with a low grid it surely isn't a great look and I would hate for our State Championship to maybe one day be run over 3 rounds.
Christo
Christo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pauly 22/9/2014, 11:32 am

I would agree Chris, of the two Phillip Island's this is the one more likely to be nice weather.

But at the end of the year people are low on budget, have had problems mechanically or physically with their cars, etc. As I say this affects more than our class. Have other commitments with work/family etc. And whilst I agree a field of 20 odd should be achievable you do however need to consider we have lost 2x South Australians, Damien Meyer and Andrew Watson all in the lead up to this weekend who were coming... possibly others who haven't mentioned anything.

While I understand you both have some good enthusiasm I am not sure if you understand the amount of work that went into Winton, it sure wouldn't withstand a regular requirement with people's personal lives, I know Phil Chester actually stopped working for about a week purely organising people, cars, trophies, sponsors etc. I myself know that I could not manage putting the amount of time I put into that round into every round, my work suffered and my girlfriend would probably leave me... I have however been in contact with some competitors regarding Phillip Island and Sandown and Sandown is a common preference.

However having noted both of your comments (neither has a solution for something you mentioned), if you guys are planning to stand for committee at AGM and put the effort in I will applaud you both, I would encourage you Chris to stand for committee and put your opinions and views forward as no doubt you have something to contribute.
Pauly
Pauly

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 22/9/2014, 12:45 pm

Pauly wrote:
Jay wrote:

I wasn't going to race any this year but I did 2 rounds to blow the dust off the car, with this round I am hiring 2 of my cars out  and looking after 2 cars which is over a quarter of the grid so I think my input is very strong for this round.

You haven't answered the question of why you think there are low numbers?
What B drivers are unhappy?

If I had a answer I would not be asking, if there is even a answer plus I was trying to get some action on this forum.

You know I can't name names on a public forum, your on the committee and you know who it is.
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 22/9/2014, 12:49 pm

Pauly wrote:I would agree Chris, of the two Phillip Island's this is the one more likely to be nice weather.

But at the end of the year people are low on budget, have had problems mechanically or physically with their cars, etc. As I say this affects more than our class. Have other commitments with work/family etc. And whilst I agree a field of 20 odd should be achievable you do however need to consider we have lost 2x South Australians, Damien Meyer and Andrew Watson all in the lead up to this weekend who were coming... possibly others who haven't mentioned anything.

While I understand you both have some good enthusiasm I am not sure if you understand the amount of work that went into Winton, it sure wouldn't withstand a regular requirement with people's personal lives, I know Phil Chester actually stopped working for about a week purely organising people, cars, trophies, sponsors etc. I myself know that I could not manage putting the amount of time I put into that round into every round, my work suffered and my girlfriend would probably leave me... I have however been in contact with some competitors regarding Phillip Island and Sandown and Sandown is a common preference.

However having noted both of your comments (neither has a solution for something you mentioned), if you guys are planning to stand for committee at AGM and put the effort in I will applaud you both, I would encourage you Chris to stand for committee and put your opinions and views forward as no doubt you have something to contribute.

I myself have tried to get people to enter PI, hence getting a newbie in one of my cars.

I won't be standing for the committee it's to much hard work as you know, plus I don't have the time or patience.
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Pauly 23/9/2014, 2:26 am

The B's you are referring to only affect 3 cars? unless there is more I do not know of and you do
Pauly
Pauly

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 26/9/2014, 4:43 am

I have just had a thought why the numbers are low, it's Bathurst weekend !!!!
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Christo 26/9/2014, 9:02 am

Bathurst is the weekend after mate.
Christo
Christo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 26/9/2014, 10:38 am

Christo wrote:Bathurst is the weekend after mate.

That's that theory out of the window.

Must be the AFL final that weekend then ?
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Christo 8/10/2014, 2:04 pm

There was some great racing on the weekend you guys who didn't run sure missed out Razz
Christo
Christo

Back to top Go down

Post  griffinracing 19/10/2014, 3:09 pm

Hi boy & girls, It's been a while. Just reading through to see what's happening.

From my side, I'd love to do the Island again, I'd never done Sandown (have now) and failed to proceed in qualifying at Winton so wanted a decent run there. At 2 or 3 grand for a weekend (travel/ accommodation/ etc etc etc and the entry is the least of the items) I can't do too many events. That same weekend was a local hill climb at King Edward Park (almost as pretty as the Island but only a hill climb) that I hadn't run in for several years and the Australian Hill Climb titles are up here in a few weeks. Add a daughter that's stepping up to the mark and wants a run in my Midget and there's my budget well and truly gone for the year.

Next year??? MG National Meeting with you Vic's so I might give that a run (been quite a while since we've been to one). Hopefully we might get to one other event south of the border but as to which one, I don't know. You are still the only ones that welcome me and allow me to race. If I want a CAMS signature it has to be PI or Sandown.

Keep smiling guys, your still the best game on the block.

Jonesy
griffinracing
griffinracing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down